- USA: Anti-BDS laws extended to serve the most reactionary causes Sylvain Cypel · 14 July In the United States, as in Europe now, many laws against BDS are being passed to protect Israel from that grass-roots movement demanding concrete measures against the occupation of Palestine. A recent documentary examines the anti-BDS campaign and indicates how it is being extended to ban (...)
Israel. Ever More to the Right, a Race to the Abyss
Ezra Nahmad, Sylvain Cypel
· 6 January
Who is going to stop the repressive government of the extreme nationalist, colonial and religious right set up by Benyamin Netanyahu? Its coalition agreement suggests a worst-case scenario. Sylvain Cypel and Ezra Nahmad outline what the latter calls “Israel’s descent into the abyss”.
On 30 (...)
- Investigation “Haaretz”, the Last Bastion of Jewish Opposition in Israel Sylvain Cypel · November 2022 “Israel is now closing in on a right-wing, religious, authoritarian revolution”, headlines the daily Haaretz the day after the Israeli legislative elections of 1 November 2022, which confirmed the anchoring of a fascist extreme right and the denial of oppression in Palestine. If the (...)
- Israel Mired in the Pegasus Affair Sylvain Cypel · February 2022 As long as Israeli software was being used to monitor the Palestinian population, nobody was worried about it. But the Pegasus scandal blew all that apart, with the revelations about listening in on Israeli politicians, and practices akin to those of a gangster state, stirring concerns even (...)
Joe Biden, the Middle East and Emmanuel Macron
· February 2021
In the Near East minefield between Saudi Arabia, Iran and Israel, Joe Biden’s administration is questioning its strategy, particularly on the nuclear issue. Emmanuel Macron gives him some advice—not sure if it is good.
When a new president enters the White House, he picks up the phone and (...)
- Will Joe Biden Have the Nerve to Rejoin the Nuclear Deal with Iran? Sylvain Cypel · January 2021 On 20 January 2021, Joe Biden will be sworn in as President of the USA. Among the vital foreign policy issues awaiting him is that of the relations with Iran. Will Washington choose to revive the nuclear agreement? Will the US manage to overcome Israeli and Saudi resistance? One thing seems (...)
- Interview Palestine. “Formal annexation won’t change anything on the ground” Robert Malley, Sylvain Cypel · June 2020 Robert Malley, former Middle East adviser to Barack Obama, remains doubtful about the scope of the annexation project presented on 1 July by Benyamin Netanyahu, considering that “the Palestinian territories have been de facto annexed for decades”. While in the United States the debates within (...)
- Netanyahu Rides to the Rescue of the Saudi Crown Prince Sylvain Cypel · December 2018 In Washington, Benyamin Netanyahu mobilised Israel’s relays to defend the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia accused, including by the CIA, of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Because his entire strategy of alliance with the Wahhabi kingdom against Iran risks suffering from this tragedy. (...)
Even with Donald Trump,“American isolationism is a fiction”
Andrew Bacevich, Sylvain Cypel
· February 2018
Contrary to popular belief, the American administration’s policy is not isolationist. It is characterized by permanent military interventions, in continuity with that of the Obama administration.
Professor emeritus of history and international relations at Boston University, Andrew Bacevich (...)
- How the Israeli Generals Prepared The Conquest Long Before 1967 Sylvain Cypel · June 2017 Not only was Israel under no threat of destruction in 1967, but the high command had long since drawn up its plans to Conquer the West Bank, Jerusalem, Gaza, Sinai and the Golan Heights. And they carried them out with what amounted to a coup against a handful of politicians still reluctant to (...)
- [Reporting In Palestine, European diplomats and officials all have the blues Sylvain Cypel · April 2017 The Jericho free zone, in the Jordan Valley, was meant to help Palestine’s economic development and is financed by the European Union. But it’s a long way from theory to practise, for Israel creates ever new obstacles to destroy or block any initiative aimed at improving Palestinian lives. (...)